Debris disposal

On this page:


Disposing of rubble from households

Minor home repairs

If you need to remove rubble from your earthquake damaged house, please do not put this material on the roadside for rubbish collection or in wheelie bins.

Rubble should be taken to Metro Place, Parkhouse Road or Styx Mill Road transfer stations. Location details can be found on the Eco Central website.

Please keep your receipts and include them in your insurance claim.

It is a good idea to confirm pricing with the transfer station as prices can change.

Major home repairs and demolition

Call EQC on 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243) for urgent needs, e.g. if your home is not weatherproof, secure or hygenic.

For emergency repairs under $2000, you can go ahead and arrange for the work to be done. Keep all receipts.

For emergency repairs of $2000 or more, EQC will arrange for the work to be done. Please see the EQC website for more information.

EQC are visiting all properties in the city for a rapid assessment. You don’t need to be home for this to take place. They will let you know if or when to expect an in-depth inspection. People have three months to make an EQC claim for the 22 February earthquake.

Civil Defence cannot guarantee the security of your property with the exception of the cordoned CBD. You may want to consider placing valuable items in storage.

Kerbside collections

Roadside collection of rubbish, recycling and organic material resumed on Monday 28 March 2011. Normal collection days and frequencies apply.

Collection is taking place in all areas except the CBD Red Zone which is still too unsafe to enter for rubbish collection.

Please do not put out rubbish such as rubble, bricks or masonry for collection. This should be taken to the Metro Place, Parkhouse Road or Styx Mill transfer stations. Keep your receipts, which may be required for insurance purposes.

View more information on rubbish collection or phone 03 941 8999.

Sand and silt

Silt from properties and neighbourhoods should be placed into piles on the roadside and clear of driveways for collection.

To ask for sand or silt to be collected from your property or roadside, please call 03 941 8999.

Disposing of rubble from commercial properties

Commercial properties outside the Central Business District

All demolition work requires approval from the National Controller’s Office.

All demolitions must be carried out by an accredited contractor. View the list of accredited contractors.

As part of the building demolition approval process, contractors must agree to adhere to the Generic Debris Management Plan. As part of this process, contractors must submit a waste report for every structure demolished, as outlined in the debris management plan.

Demolition contractors performing commercial or Red Zone demolitions are not allowed to salvage materials without express authority from the building owner or insurer.

All building waste must be disposed of at consented facilities.

Note that debris must be handled in line with business as usual practices and in compliance with the Christchurch Cleanfill Bylaw 2008 [PDF 75KB].

A process is being put in place to approve applications for additional waste management facilities for debris materials. Details will be placed on this website when they are available.

Applications for accreditation

If you wish to apply for demolition accreditation, please see our Accredited Contractors page. Demolition firms are required to provide an overview of their business, resources capability, track record and relevant experience.

Commercial properties within the Central Business District

Tight controls and strict guidelines are in place for demolition and the removal of debris from the CBD. Demolition contractors must be accredited according to a set of guidelines developed by Civil Defence.

To manage the limited resources available, minimal onsite salvage/recovery of building materials is being carried out. Mixed building debris is currently being taken out to a Resource Recovery Park established at Burwood Landfill site, where building materials will be separated, processed and recovered as far as practical.

Contractors are required to prepare and comply with health and safety, and traffic management plans.

The long term process around demolition and debris removal within the CBD is still being established.

Hazardous materials

Hazardous materials must be removed from properties prior to demolition as far as possible. All potentially hazardous substances and materials discovered on site must be removed by a qualified and accredited hazardous waste contractor.

All sites believed to contain asbestos must be assessed and managed by qualified and accredited contractors. Asbestos must be disposed of at Kate Valley Landfill.

View the Department of Labour guidelines for management of asbestos post-earthquake and frequently asked questions.


We are currently working to ensure that building material is reused and recycled as much as practicable given contractor resource limitations and recovery time frames.

Demolition contractors and disposal facilities can view a list of Christchurch-based recycling and resale companies on the Target Sustainability website.

A list of recyclers based outside Christchurch is available on the BRANZ website.

Debris Management Policy

A high level Debris Management Policy has been developed to guide the overall direction for this activity.

The policy goals are to:

  • Protect public and worker health and safety
  • Enable the rapid and affordable recovery of Christchurch
  • Avoid or mitigate the harmful effects of waste
  • Maximize the efficient use of resources
  • Sensitivity in the handling of buildings and vehicles where fatalities have occurred
  • Identify and protect heritage items
  • Establish transparent and equitable processes

Water use by accredited demolition companies

The efficient use of resources, including water, is an important part of  CERA’s approach to demolition.

Dust suppression is critical for safety during demolition – without it demolitions could not be continued. The efficient use of water is vital to achieving this.

CERA and accredited demolition contractors are aware of, and support Christchurch City Council’s water restrictions over the summer period. Accredited demolition contractors are committed to making the most efficient use of water that they can. Where other dust suppression technologies, prove to be both practical and cost efficient, these will be considered.

Christchurch City Council staff are also investigating some of the private and abandoned wells in the CBD to reduce the use of the reticulated water supply. 

Contact us

If you have any questions regarding commercial waste management, please contact CERA.