Property information

Transfer of CERA functions to inheriting agencies

1 December 2015

LINZ inherits the remaining responsibilities for demolitions and clearing of Crown-owned property in the residential red zone. It also takes over the maintenance and interim land management of Crown-owned land the residential red zones. Please note:

  • LINZ will not be making decisions about the longer-term use of the residential red zone land.
  • CERA will continue to manage the voluntary Crown offer process in the residential red zone.

Find out what zone your property is in

Visit My Property and enter your address to find out what zone your property has been mapped into, and download a fact sheet on what it means for you.

Land information enquiries

If you have questions about the land announcements, the options available, or the classification of your land, please email your name, property address and contact details to or phone 0800 RING CERA (0800 7464 2372).

Maps of affected areas

See our online maps page for more information.

Rateable valuations

Find out your property's RV (rateable valuation) online:

Temporary accommodation assistance

Canterbury Earthquake Temporary Accommodation Service (CETAS) is for Canterbury householders (including those in the Red Zone) who need help with all aspects of temporary accommodation.

For more information about the assistance available go to or phone 0800 673 227.

Land availability

Information provided by councils about residential developments and how to contact developers with sections for sale. Find out more »

Dealing with liquefaction silt

People should avoid unnecessary contact with liquefaction silt. If people must work with it, the Canterbury District Health Board advises the following precautions:

  • wear water proof gloves, gumboots and a dust mask
  • shower or wash immediately afterwards
  • wash contaminated clothes separately after use.

The procedure for sewage contaminated silt is as follows:

  • residents should call the Christchurch City Council contact centre on (03) 941 8999 with the details of the problem
  • ideally those details should include an approximation of the volume of silt and the area to be decontaminated
  • the ground will be sanitised as part of the process
  • the service should be completed within two days of the request
  • sewage contaminated silt will be removed at no charge

Silt arising through liquefaction on private land is the responsibility of the resident/property owner to dispose of through the local transfer station. Please see the EcoCentral website for further information and fees:

QEII site report – air quality

Asbestos material buried on the QEII site will remain buried to ensure none of the fibre are released into the air.

Read a summary of the report into the air quality at the QEII site [PDF 700KB]