Kaiapoi and Pines Beach
On this page:
- Land announcement - 18 August 2011
- Maps of affected areas
- Letters delivered to Waimakariri District residents
- Consent form
- Release of Cabinet papers on land damage decisions
- Frequently asked questions
- Kaiapoi residential red zone workshop - 8 Feb 2012
Watch a video of the announcement
On 18 August 2011 the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister, Gerry Brownlee announced the Waimakariri District land decision.
The government made offers to purchase a further 940 properties in Kaiapoi and Pines Beach north of Christchurch.
Of the 1230 residential properties zoned orange for further investigation on 23 June, 860 in Kaiapoi and 80 in Pines Beach have now been zoned red, 220 in the northern part of Kaiapoi have been zoned green and a further 70 in the western part of Kaiapoi will remain in the orange zone for the time being for further investigative work.
A decision on the 70 orange zoned properties should be made within the next few weeks.
All residents whose properties have been zoned red were sent offers from the government to purchase their property, and are subject to the same support, financial or otherwise, as those residents zoned red on 23 June.
It has been determined that the most appropriate rating valuation to inform the government’s offers is the 2008 valuation, as that was the rating valuation in place on 3 September 2010.
Waimakariri residents previously zoned orange can check http://cera.govt.nz/my-property or phone 0800 RING CERA (0800 7464 2372) to learn of their new zone.
- Tonkin & Taylor presentation from the community briefings 30/31 August and 6 September 2011 [PDF 4MB]
- Tonkin & Taylor presentation showing land damage in Kaiapoi and Pines Beach [PDF 1.2MB]
Maps showing the affected Waimakariri District, Kaiapoi Ward areas as at 18 August 2011.
Maps are colour A3 PDFs.
- Kaiapoi Ward zones overview [PDF 513KB]
- Kaiapoi north [PDF 3MB]
- Kaiapoi south-east [PDF 3MB]
- Kaiapoi west [PDF 3MB]
- Pines Beach [PDF 2MB]
- Green Zone letter [PDF 106KB]
- Orange Zone letter [PDF 87KB]
- Red Zone letter [PDF 69KB]
- White Zone letter [PDF 85KB]
For the Crown to make you an offer to purchase your property, it needs information about your property and your insurance from the Earthquake Commission (EQC) and your insurer.
You need to complete and return a consent form before 31 March 2013 authorizing EQC and your insurer to share this information with the Crown.
Please post the completed and signed consent form to:
Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority
Private Bag 4999
Attention: Consent form returns
In late June and in mid-August 2011, Cabinet considered papers from the Minister for Canterbury Earthquake Recovery detailing the extensive geotechnical work that has been undertaken to assess the state of affected land.
Click on the links below to view the relevant Cabinet papers and the decisions taken.
- Cabinet Paper: Land Decisions - June 2011 [PDF 1.4MB]
- Cabinet Minute of Decision: Land Decisions - June 2011 [PDF 474KB]
- Map showing affected areas - as at 23 June 2011 [PDF 4MB]
- Cabinet Paper: Kaiapoi Orange Zones - August 2011 [PDF 1.2MB]
- Cabinet Paper: Kaiapoi Orange Zones - Appendices A to E - August 2011 [PDF 2.4MB]
- Cabinet Paper: Kaiapoi Orange Zones - Appendix F - August 2011 [PDF 4.6MB]
- Cabinet Minute of Decision: Kaiapoi Orange Zones - August 2011 [PDF 325KB]
Covers the offers being made by the government, rating valuations, fixtures and chattels, EQC, insurance, unit titles, zones, building in the green zone.
- Frequently asked questions [PDF 85KB]
On 8 February 2012 a residential red zone workshop was held at the Kaiapoi Working Men's Club.