CERA has been disestablished

The Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (CERA) was disestablished on 18 April 2016 as the Government transitions from leading the recovery, to establishing long-term, locally-led recovery and regeneration arrangements.

This website has been retained for the purposes of hosting My Property, which provides details of land status and related information.

For the details of the agencies to contact for information and assistance, and an archive of CERA related documents, please visit cera.dpmc.govt.nz.


Green Zone, Technical Category 2, yellow

  • Land classified as green means that homes are suitable for repair and rebuild.

    Key points to note

      • Land generally suitable for houses to be repaired or rebuilt;

      • Property owners should talk directly with their insurer or EQC about repairs;

      • Property owners no longer have to wait for the results of any area-wide land assessment reports by EQC or their engineering consultants Tonkin & Taylor;

      • There will be some isolated exceptions where geotechnical assessments will be required due to major land damage;

      • Repair and rebuilding work should take into consideration the risk of ongoing aftershocks, so some finishing tasks such as brick and driveway concrete laying should be delayed until that risk decreases.

    What does Technical Category 2 (TC2, yellow) mean?

    Some properties in the green zone have experienced liquefaction-related land damage and considerable settlement during the sequence of Canterbury earthquakes. While land in the green zone is still generally considered suitable for residential construction, houses in some areas will need more robust foundations or site foundation design where foundation repairs or rebuilding are required.

    Technical Category 2 (TC2, yellow) means that minor to moderate land damage from liquefaction is possible in future significant earthquakes.

    You can use standard timber piled foundations for houses with lightweight cladding and roofing and suspended timber floors or enhanced concrete foundations.

    Detailed information about foundation requirements is available on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website.

    The above zoning information is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing.