Port Hills red zone information
Transfer of CERA functions to inheriting agencies
1 December 2015
LINZ inherits the remaining responsibilities for demolitions and clearing of Crown-owned property in the residential red zone. It also takes over the maintenance and interim land management of Crown-owned land the residential red zones. Please note:
- LINZ will not be making decisions about the longer-term use of the residential red zone land.
- CERA will continue to manage the voluntary Crown offer process in the residential red zone.
On this page:
- Crown offer to insured residential property owners
- Related media releases
- Video: Port Hills red zone – effects of the earthquakes
A total of 713 properties have been zoned red.
Properties affected by cliff collapse have been zoned red where they face an immediate risk to life.
Properties affected by rock roll have been zoned red where they face an unacceptable risk to life (greater than 1 in 10,000 at 2016 risk levels), and an area wide engineering solution to remediate them has been determined not to be practicable for a number of reasons including uncertainty around timeliness and costs.
Residential Red Zone Offer Recovery Plan released
30 July 2015
The Residential Red Zone Offer Recovery Plan has now been approved and released.
The process of making new Crown offers to owners of vacant, insured commercial and uninsured properties in the residential red zone is now underway.
Once a consent form has been returned, eligible property owners will receive an offer to purchase their property as outlined in the Residential Red Zone Offer Recovery Plan.
Property owners have until 10 December 2015 to decide whether to accept the offer. The final date for settlement is 26 February 2016.
Crown offers for Residential red zone properties »
- Extension for red zone property owners in the Port Hills - 31 July 2014
- Offer period extended for Port Hills red zone - 13 December 2013
- Port Hills zoning review announced - 5 December 2013
- Offer period extension for Port Hills residents - 25 October 2013
- Port Hills rock roll zoning complete - 13 September 2012
- Red Zone offer process ready for Port Hills residents - 31 August 2012
- Further 126 Port Hills properties rezoned - 17 August 2012
- 285 Port Hills properties zoned red - 29 June 2012
To help understand why some of the properties have been zoned red, geotechnical engineer Dr Jan Kupec discusses the effects of the earthquakes.