Economic Recovery Programme
Engaging on recovery
We all need to work together to achieve recovery. All public engagement opportunities under the Recovery Strategy will be posted on this website. Find out more »
The Economic Recovery Programme incorporates 20 high priority projects that will revitalise greater Christchurch as the heart of a prosperous region for business, work and education, and ensure increased investment in new activities.
Disruption to business activity in greater Christchurch since the earthquakes began in 2010 has had a significant impact on our economy. However, this has also provided us with an exciting opportunity to establish a new, world-class, highly productive economic engine for the future.
The Economic Recovery Programme for Greater Christchurch sets out a strategic work programme of 20 high-priority projects that are the most important for economic recovery.
Those projects are:
- Leadership and Planning
- Implementation and Monitoring
- Labour Market
- Social Environment
- Tertiary Education
- Capital Attraction
- Business Collaboration
- Insurance Availability
- Ultrafast Broadband Uptake
- Innovation Clusters
- Better Public Services
- Central City Recovery
- Suburbs and Towns
- Rebuild Infrastructure
- International Education
- Construction and Productivity
- Rural Sector Production
- Local Government Business Friendly Services
- Health Precinct Development
Who was involved in the development of the programme?
The development of the Economic Recovery Programme for Greater Christchurch has been a cooperative effort from a range of organisations and agencies. These organisations have included representatives from central government, local government, industry sectors and leading local business organisations from within the greater Christchurch region.
This has included:
- Canterbury Business Leaders Group
- Canterbury Development Corporation
- Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority
- Canterbury Employers Chamber of Commerce
- Canterbury Employment & Skills Board
- Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism
- Christchurch City Council
- Enterprise North Canterbury
- Environment Canterbury Regional Council (ECan)
- Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment
- New Zealand Manufacturers & Exporters Association
- Sector representatives - Property development, Construction and Investment
- Selwyn District Council
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu
- The Treasury
- Waimakariri District Council
The Economic Recovery Programme for Greater Christchurch / Te Whakaara Tahua provides the background to economic recovery and the projects.