Science and data
Scientific information and data about the earthquake, aftershocks, image resources and related links.
New Zealand Government data catalogue
- Data.govt.nz: CERA index
Earthquake Commission geotechnical land reports
Stage 3 land reports
Canterbury Earthquakes 2010 and 2011 Land report as at 29 February 2012
Published: July 2012
The main purpose of the report is to provide information on how the Canterbury earthquake series, beginning on 4 September 2010, has changed residential land in the wider Christchurch area. It explains the technical information collected and the processes used to collect it.
Stage 2 land reports
Christchurch Earthquake Recovery Geotechnical factual reports by suburb
Published: December 2011
Stage 1 land reports
Darfield Earthquake Recovery Geotechnical factual reports
Published: October 2010 – February 2011
- Canterbury earthquake updates
- GNS Science's media release regarding the computation of probabilities of future events - 3 February 2012
- Natural Hazards Research Platform - a GNS Science-led multi-party research platform funded by FRST that is dedicated to increasing New Zealand's resilience to natural hazards via high quality collaborative research
- Information on Canterbury earthquakes
- The Q Files - Read about how an earthquake or tsunami could affect Canterbury, what causes them and what you can do to be prepared.
Statistics New Zealand earthquake information portal
This web page catalogues statistical data and reports which may be useful to agencies following the 22 February 2011 earthquake in Christchurch. It provides links to reports and data from Statistics New Zealand and from other government and non-government agencies and organisations. It is a resource that will continue to grow over time.
Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand
- Earthquake factsheet - 22 February 2011 [PDF 213KB] issued 17 March 2011
- Liquefaction factsheet [PDF 236KB] issued 17 March 2011
- Tsunami factsheet [PDF 279KB] issued 5 April 2011
- What is liquefaction? [PDF 1.89MB] A fact-sheet produced by Environment Canterbury explaining this earthquake phenomenon and outlining the liquefaction risk for the Christchurch area.
- The National Hazardscape Report Published in September 2007, The National Hazardscape Report provides a contemporary summary of the physical nature, distribution, frequency of occurrence and impacts and consequences of 17 key hazards affecting New Zealand, including earthquakes.
- USGS – United States Geological Survey Information on the 22 February 2011 earthquake from the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program.
- Wikipedia: 4 September 2010 Canterbury earthquake
- Wikipedia: 22 February 2011 Christchurch earthquake